making my way in the opera world one step at a time... new and archival blog entries since 2005

Thursday, April 23, 2009

The year in review

Hi everyone!!!

Wow, what a great year this has been! I have been richly blessed this year and am enjoying the holidays as a time of reflection and projection. It is always rejuvenating to spend time at home and to remember how you have been touched by all the special people that God has put in your life.

2006 started in Indianapolis, Indiana, with a tour of Figatroll and the Three Billy Goats Gruff. Then came Marriage of Figaro preview performances and concerts full of music from Carmen and Die Fledermaus. Working with Maestro James Caraher of Indianapolis Opera in coachings and masterclasses was encouraging and inspiring. I learned so much from the artistic staff and made some wonderful friends there. It was an experience I will never forget.

This summer I was able to return to the Mormon paradise known as Logan, Utah, to work for a second season with the Utah Festival Opera Company. The summer flew by! My dad was able to come out to Logan at the end of the summer to see some of the productions. This was such a special visit to me because I have been so far away from mom and dad for most of the shows I have done that they haven’t been able to catch as much as they would like. Or as much as I would like.

All of that changed this fall, though, as I was able to work in San Antonio from August to December. I had a job as the Administrative Director of Crownridge Music Academy and I also was in two productions with San Antonio Opera: Green Eggs and Ham, and Amahl and the Night Visitors. I am so thankful that I have finally had the chance to establish a relationship with the opera company in my home town. I am pretty sure that I will be able to come back and perform in San Antonio in the next couple of years. How perfect! Mom and Dad attended more than their fair share of my performances this fall, and many of my extended family were able to come see me perform as well.

After a refreshing fall at home, I am gearing up to move on to Nashville, Tennessee. I will be singing roles in Romeo and Juliet, The Emperor’s New Clothes, and Madame Butterfly. They are promising to keep me very busy at Nashville Opera, which is a good thing!

Thank you all for your continued support and encouragement. Happy New Year to all!

Best,Crystal Joy

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 28th, 2006 at 1:00 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment