making my way in the opera world one step at a time... new and archival blog entries since 2005

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Indy Opera YAP Auditions

So in three days of auditions for next year’s young artists,there were 38 sopranos, 20 mezzos, 8 tenors, 7 baritones, and a bass. Everyone got to sing 2 pieces. Being on theother side of the table this time I noticed several things. I sort of felt likeI was watching cattle calls back at IU, partially because I knew about 25% ofthe singers auditioning from my days back at IU. Anyhow…

Some general notes to self about future auditions:

I will not wear leather except as footwear.
I will not wear mismatched jewelry.
I will not lie about my weight by more than 15 lbs.
I will always discuss tempi with the pianist.
I will only offer arias that I know.
I will do my best to bring one comic selection to theaudition. People like to laugh.
I will not allow my arms to float about or express dynamicsfor me.
I will never take an aria to an audition if it is not stagedor at least very well planned out dramatically.

It was really fun to see some of my friends auditioning. Hito all of you if I didn’t get to say hi at the Fairview Pres. Everyone of the25% made me smile. I am just going to go out on a limb and say it. IU does somegood work. And I am only barely biased.
This entry was posted on Thursday, February 2nd, 2006 at 6:58 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment